Saturday, December 18, 2010

Christmas Present: The Joffrey Ballet's Nutcracker!

Good job, Joffrey marketing department
Last night the Sailor took me out for my Christmas present. HE took ME to the ballet. Yeah. You read that right :)  We saw the Joffrey Ballet of Chicago perform The Nutcracker.

I love ballet. I've taken ballet and even did the ridiculous and performed in a recital at the tender age of 24. (My now sisters-in-law, my brother and one of my long-time friends also performed.) But I haven't been to the ballet in awhile. (Actually the only times I've been in recent history were to see the Salt Creek Ballet perform The Nutcracker at Governors State University.)


Anyway, like most people, I love The Nutcracker. I love the music, the dancing, the costumes. I looove the Arabian Dance (funny thing about that video: 1. my mom has those same baggy silver pants from when she was in our church's dinner theater performance of Kismet and 2. the move the ballerina does at 3:20 was totally one of my favorite moves when I was on my high school's dance team) and the Waltz of the Flowers. And I love that the story is lighthearted and not too complicated, so it's a good first ballet for people (like my husband) to see.

And, the Sailor said he enjoyed it more than the thought he would! Which I consider a rave review.

And before the ballet, he took me out for one of my favorites that he doesn't usually like - Thai food - at Amarit Thai, and we both coincidentally ordered some kind of duck entree. And then we had some extra time so we stopped at Custom House Tavern for a beverage along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment