Friday, March 23, 2012

Volunteering at the Shamrock Shuffle Expo

Shamrock Shuffle expo for Fort2BaseI don't know if I mentioned it here yet, but I'm an ambassador for the 2012 Fort2Base race.

I ran this race last year and really enjoyed it and thought it was a very well done race, plus it's at Great Lakes, where my husband drills for the Navy Reserve, so it has an extra-special place in my heart. And 12 miles the weekend of Sept 23 will fit in well with my training for the Chicago Marathon (I just have to remember not to race this one). And Kelly [from Wednesday's run] is the director of ambassador outreach.

Anyway, what exactly does a race ambassador do? Basically promote the race to their local running community. Today, that meant volunteering at the Shamrock Shuffle expo. I was actually really exited to do this! I like any opportunity to get a behind-the-scenes look at what goes into planning a race. Plus it's a great event, so I was happy to promote it!

Basically, volunteering at a booth = handing out printed material and talking to folks about the race. And telling them it is OK to take some of the candy we have set out. (A lot of people were happy to see actual candy, and not more energy bars/gels/etc.)

It was interesting to talk to the race directors and get more insight into race planning and the race community. Between the two directors I met, they are currently or have been involved with RAM Racing (of the Hot Chocolate race), Rock 'n Roll, Zooma and other non-series races.

But of course a perk of volunteering is the free swag. (I have TONS of American Cancer Society Relay For Life stuff from my three years serving on the planning committee.) As soon as I got to our booth, the race director gave me a headband (my choice of color - I went with the blue camo since that "reminds me of my husband's uniform"). Then, we were talking about last year's race shirts, and I mentioned that I wish I had ordered my husband's in a size I could wear, because he never wears his and the tops are so nice! (Very attractive lightweight quarter-zip pullovers.) The men's was also a different color than the women's. Anyway, she went through her bag of swag and now I have a men's shirt in my size too! Sweet.

Shamrock Shuffle swag
Today's swag: on the left, Shamrock Shuffle shirt and bandana, on the right: Fort2Base headband and pullover

Also, as you can see, this year's Shamrock Shuffle shirts are red. Which to me (and so far most of my Facebook friends) is an odd choice. I assume it's red for Bank of America. They were also giving out green bandanas. So at least I'm all set for this year's Christmas Eve Cookie Run???

Finally, the last time I posted pictures of The Bean on my blog, my dad commented "I wonder why almost every picture I ever see of Cloud Gate never has a cloud in it."

Dad, these are for you:

Cloud Gate aka The Bean

Cloud Gate aka The Bean

Cloud Gate aka The Bean


1 comment:

  1. That's really cool you are an ambassador for the fort2base race. I bet it's insanely fun to talk about running to people at the expo! :) I think that could be my dream job.

    Good luck on Sunday! Your outfit sounds cute. I'm thinking next year if I run shamrock I'll be a bit more proactive in getting shamrock gear together.

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete