Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Why not? Wednesday: Challenge yourself and Let it go.

For awhile (since ... high school?) my personal mantra has been "don't ask 'why?' ask 'why not?'" So when I saw "Why Not Wednesday" on Watch Me Go Run, I had to borrow the idea :)

my first half marathon
sure my time was 2:48 but I did it

Why not ... challenge yourself! 

I forced myself to become a runner two years ago when I signed up for a half marathon, despite never having run more then 3.1 miles at once. I don't really remember my thought process at the time, but I figured why not? It's something to do.

Two years later I am officially addicted to running. I'm getting faster, meeting new people, meeting personal goals, surprising myself, and I've lost over 20 pounds.

Also, it gives purpose to my life outside of my job. I have a good job. And it's what I actually wanted to do after college. I get a lot of satisfaction out of it. I'm respected. So, I have a good thing going in that area of my life. But, it's not my whole life. It's a part of my life. If my job started to suck, it wouldn't ruin my life. Running gives me something else to look forward to outside of work - another outlet to set and achieve goals, and challenge myself, and define myself. I feel like a lot of people don't do themselves that favor.

Why not ... limit the number of fucks you give.

I got this idea from Fit and Feminist's post of "Fifteen things I've done to improve myself": be selective about the number of fucks I give. Crass, yes, but good advice. You can sweat the small stuff. You can get worked up over every little thing. You can take everything personally. You can hold grudges. You can choose not to forgive and forget. You can try to "win" every argument, and never apologize. I know people who live their lives this way. And I wonder ... WHY? What good is it doing them?

Why not let it all go? Stop and ask yourself "what really matters?" And focus on that instead. Forget about the rest. Stop giving a fuck about everything. It only stresses you out. And makes you look like a crazy person.

Sorry for all the f-bombs but I think it makes the point so much more. 
 

Don't forget: Give me $5 before 12/12/11 and I might just give you a FuelBelt. (Raising money for the American Cancer Society. Raffle info here.)

1 comment:

  1. Love this! Life is so much less stressful when you "pick your battles" so to speak.

    My first half marathon, which I signed up for having run A total of maybe 5 miles at once, is This February! I'm glad to know I'm not the only "crazy" one :)

    ReplyDelete