Sunday, October 23, 2011

My Obstacle Racing Career Is Over

I mentioned in my last post - my report/review of the Monster Dash Haunted Obstacle Course 5K - that I landed wrong coming off of the very first obstacle. But I kept running (for 3 miles) and nothing bothered me, so I didn't think much of it. Until later in the day, when my right ankle felt more sore than anything else. I wanted to go for a run this morning, but between sleeping in and making omelets and hosing down our muddy shoes, I didn't get a chance to get out for a run before the business of the day commenced: going to the pumpkin farm.

Dream big kid
the lady knows what she wants
So tall
The Sailor with our niece
Pumpkins
My pumpkin picking a pumpkin (gag, sorry)

So yeah, despite a sore ankle and an occasional slight limp, we spent the afternoon walking around the pumpkin farm. It wasn't until we were walking back to our car - across a vast parking lot, carrying large and heavy pumpkins - that my ankle started to really bother me.

When I got home, I took off my boots and socks and sure enough, my right ankle was noticeably swollen. Luckily, I live with my own personal nurse (you may recall from a previous post that we live with my parents - my mom is an RN) so she took one look at my ankle, said I probably sprained it, and wrapped it in an ace bandage. She also told me no running, but things like yoga and swimming are fine.

No more obstacle course races for me
Forgot to take a picture before she wrapped it, and I'm not about to unwrap
the work that 37 years of nursing and a masters degree prepared her for.

My own personal prescription - no more obstacle races. Sure, the Monster Dash was fun, but it's sidelining me from what's really fun - running. But at least we recently rejoined a gym with a pretty sweet pool. Time to get reacquainted with until I no longer have a cankle.

No comments:

Post a Comment