Sunday, January 29, 2012

I Run Because I Can / Museum of Science and Industry

While I was out for my run today, I ran past a man walking his dog. He started talking to me as I approached, so I stopped. He said he used to run - six miles a day, six days a week - until he started having strokes. I commented that at least he's still getting out to walk his dog (3 times a day for 20 minutes, he told me), and that's something.

It reminded me that one of the reasons many of us (including me) run is because we can. And we'll keep running, until like the man I met today, we are forced to stop. A few years ago, when I lived in a different town, my typical post-work running route would take me past a house where I would often see a man in a wheelchair in the driveway, watching his kids play. It was a frequent reminder that I am so lucky to have my health, I never want to take that for granted.

Now for something completely different ... yesterday I went to the Museum of Science and Industry for the first time in years. The Sailor and I went with a few friends, one of whom brought his son. It was fun to check out the new exhibits, as well as ones that have been there for a long time.

Museum of Science and Industry, Chicago


Museum of Science and Industry, Chicago
I'm happy to report that the baby chicks are still there.


Museum of Science and Industry, Chicago


Museum of Science and Industry, Chicago


Museum of Science and Industry, Chicago


Museum of Science and Industry, Chicago
Steam locomotive


Museum of Science and Industry, Chicago
Petroleum Planet exhibit


Museum of Science and Industry, Chicago
This was also part of the petroleum exhibit


Museum of Science and Industry, Chicago
The new Science Storms exhibit


Museum of Science and Industry, Chicago
Tornado


Museum of Science and Industry, Chicago
So if you ever get caught near a tornado, just run in laps around it?


Museum of Science and Industry, Chicago
Transportation Gallery


Museum of Science and Industry, Chicago
When I grow up ...


Museum of Science and Industry, Chicago
They've had the U-505 sub for years, but recently opened a new exhibit for it.

What's your favorite museum? I love the Museum of Science & Industry, since I love math and am fascinated by all of the applications for it. The Art Institute of Chicago my other favorite. My parents used to take me there a lot (for many of the special exhibits) but I don't go as much anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment