Thursday, June 9, 2011

How to Injure Your Hand Playing Soccer

Dramatization.
Yes, your hand. Yes, I know soccer is primarily played without hands (unless you are the goalie or doing throw-ins). Doesn't mean it's not possible to sprain your wrist while playing.

Picture it. Monday night. Temps in the 90s. Perfect weather for soccer, right? (Um, no.) I play defense (left outside usually). I was blocking a player, she was about a foot or two in front of me, kicked the ball (hard) and it went straight into my right wrist. Not a good feeling.

Because of the heat + immediate intense pain, I thought I was going to pass out. I've passed out a few times before, so I know what it feels like. I sat out for about 10 minutes and then felt like a slacker, so I went back in and played the last 15 minutes.

The next morning the wrist still hurt pretty bad, and I wanted to make sure it wasn't broken, so I went to the immediate care before work. Got x-rays. No break, but a contusion (bad bruise) sprain (over-stretched joint). So for awhile I will be sporting this super awesome wrist brace. And I will try not to go totally crazy doing as much as I can with my non-dominant (left) hand. It's feeling better, just still tender. I went for a run tonight (without the brace) and I could feel the wrist tenderness with every stride. It was distracting. I think most of my energy was focused on my wrist.

In other news, even though it is a bit steep for a race ($110 right now), I think I'm going to sign up for the Rock 'n Roll Chicago Half Marathon. I've been wanting to sign up for awhile. I like that the course is downtown and not along the lakefront. I've already done two lakefront races (heading south from the museum campus area), it gets old after awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment