Saturday, July 2, 2011

Acclimating to heat

This morning my plan was to go to Pilates at the gym and then do 3 miles on the treadmill afterward. Because it was hot today. Like 80 and humid by 9am. Forecast in the low 90s. Working out indoors seemed like a good plan.

Well, on the way to the gym, I noticed a new sound coming from my car. One of my tires was going flat. By the time I went to the gas station and filled it, it was too late for Pilates.

The Sailor was planning to go for a run, and I figured I should probably run in the heat because I'm signed up for the Rock 'n Roll Chicago Half Marathon on August 14, and knowing Chicago, even though the race is at 6:30am, it will either be 80 and humid or 60 and breezy. Best to prepare for heat. Plus I like running with my husband :)

By the time we got out the door, it was 11am. So ... the hottest, sunniest part of the day. I've been wanting to run in just a sports bra for awhile now but haven't had the guts to do it. Normally after work I run along busy streets or in residential areas. Today I said "Who cares. It's hot. I'm probably the only one that cares what I look like anyway." My "good" sports bras were in the laundry bin, so I wore two. Don't want to look too offensive.

However, without a shirt, there is nothing to wipe the sweat dripping down my face on. So lesson learned. Time to rock a sweatband I guess ...

Because it was hot, we ran in a nearby forest preserve. It was a few degrees cooler in there, but still hot. I think I did good considering the temps.

3 comments:

  1. I was dying yesterday! And go your running in sports bra, I hope I' m confident enough for that one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I certainly don't have a perfect body, but I figured it was good enough and I'm probably the most critical about it. I'm running through neighborhoods today though ... will probably wear a top.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wear Halos....but I wear them like headbands, not a la Karate Kid (or Eric). Those are a personal favorite, but also I have a SweatVac visor that works so well I can get it to drip off the brim (gross).

    Heat training.....it's just something you have to do. =)

    ReplyDelete