Wednesday, July 20, 2011

When running is like a part-time job

Team Sparkle Completes the Huntington Beach Surf City Marathon
Also: Should I get a Sparkle Skirt?
I spend a lot of time thinking about and planning for running. Probably as much if not more (probably more) than I actually spend running. (I like spread sheets and charts ... )

I know I'm not the only one because I talk to and follow a few other runners. I know there are thousands of runners who spend a lot more time (and money) than I do planning and running. And they have full-time jobs too.

Anyway, this is not about them. This is about me. Back to me.

Running is starting to feel like a part-time job. Or just a really involved hobby.

Scheduling running can be really difficult. Right now especially. I work normal business hours (8am - 5pm). My commute is about 45 minutes each way. I have other hobbies/activities (right now = burlesque class at my sister-in-law's studio and Pilates at the gym). It's really hot out right now. (Highs in the 90s until Monday.) We're trying to move. I'm going out of town this weekend (but the husband is not, so you can't rob us). When am I supposed to run? (Yeah, I know, I need to wake up early, but it's hard when I can't get to bed early some nights and whine whine whine.)

I wanted to start focusing on getting more freelance work, and that hasn't happened. But running has.

I'm not complaining ... I'm ... observing. This is something I chose to do, so I can't really complain about it. And honestly I do enjoy it. I feel healthier. I feel powerful. I like reaching goals. It helps me clear my mind. And it's making me like my body again.

But seriously, whoever said running is "easy" or "cheap" because all you need is a pair of shoes ... missed out on a lot of great marketing opportunities. Clearly many other businesses have filled that marketing gap.

When it comes to stuff, I "need":
When it comes to non-stuff, I "need":
  • Time to figure out my training plan (around my normal schedule)
  • Time to actually run
  • Time to get enough sleep
  • Comfortable temperatures
  • Shady routes that pass by drinking fountains
  • Motivation
And there's so much more I could do - pay for training plans, pay for a running coach, join a running club (yeah I keep meaning to ...), buy compression socks (seriously, do I need those? I'm starting to think I do, at least for long runs), enter more races ...

Many people have hobbies that take up a lot of their time. That's kind of the point of a hobby, isn't it?

Anyway, like I said, I'm not complaining, because I do like running and I want to do more of it. I think what I am complaining about is growing older and having more demands on my time that take away from the things I want to do. Just imagine when I have kids! Can I just invest in a jogging stroller and it'll be like nothing has changed? Yes? Please?

No comments:

Post a Comment