Sunday, July 17, 2011

Milestone: 20 miles in one week.

Finally.




I know 20 miles in one week isn't a big deal to a lot of runners. Many of them do 20+ miles in one day. However, as this is my first time hitting 20 miles in one week, it's a big deal to me. I probably would have hit it sooner, but I'm still trying to pursue non-running activities, like Pilates and burlesque class. It has been pretty hot (temps in the 80-90s plus humidity), and while I've still gotten out there and ran on all the days I've wanted to, there were some days when I would have run farther (and certainly faster) had it not been quite so hot.

I did break down and run on the treadmill today. I didn't wake up early enough to run before it got hot, and the high today was 94. And I had a bit of a headache (probably caffeine withdrawal) so running in the heat didn't seem appealing at all, not even in a shady forest preserve. Plus I knew I needed 5 miles today to hit the 20 mile goal, and I certainly didn't want to do that much outside. However, I did make those 5 miles on the treadmill count. I did a "track" work out (alternating 0.25 mi intervals at 6:50 - 7:30 pace with 9:30 - 10:00 pace) and my total time was 44:24 which I'm pretty sure is the fastest I've ever done 5 miles.

27 days until the Rock 'n Roll Half Marathon Chicago.  55 days until Fort2Base. Feeling: great.

1 comment: