Sunday, February 19, 2012

Oscar Predictions 2012

Sometimes her party includes
dressing in "red carpet attire"
(old bridesmaids dresses) or
costumes. Last year, she was
the Black Swan and my niece
was the White Swan.
For a few years now, my now-sister-law Melissa has hosted an Oscars Party. She started hosting them before she married my brother ... so it's been at least five years. She includes some games and prizes. The biggest competition is seeing who can best predict the winners. I've won for the past two (or three?) years in a row, so the Facebook invite for this year's party is getting a little bit riddled with trash talk from family members who think they can take me down. We'll see.

For now, these are my predictions. This could change before Sunday night. Like, if Roger Ebert releases his prediction. (Edited to add: he did. I'm keeping my original picks though.) Because I'm not an expert on film or awards shows - but I do my homework.

Best Picture: The Artist
Best Director: Michel Hazanavicius, The Artist
Best Actor: George Clooney
Best Actress: Viola Davis
Best Supporting Actor: Christopher Plummer
Best Supporting Actress: Octavia Spencer
Animated Feature Film: Rango
Cinematography: The Tree of Life
Art Direction: Hugo
Costume Design: Hugo
Documentary Feature: Pina
Documentary Short: The Tsunami and the Cherry Blossom
Film Editing: The Artist
Foreign Language Film: A Separation
Make Up: The Iron Lady
Music (Score): The Artist
Music (Song): Man or Muppet
Short (Animated): The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore
Short (Live): The Shore
Sound Editing: Hugo
Sound Mixing: Hugo 
Visual Effects: Rise of the Planet of the Apes
Writing (Adapted): Moneyball
Writing (Original): Midnight in Paris


Among the nominated movies, I've actually seen The Artist, Midnight in Paris, The Help, Moneyball, Bridesmaids, Beginners, Jane Eyre, Harry Potter and the first 20 minutes of Tree of Life. I liked them all except for Tree of Life. I suffered through the first 20 minutes and then couldn't take any more and I had to turn it off.

Don't forget! Every $5 you donate to the American Cancer Society = 1 entry in my "favorite things" raffle, including Sparkly Soul headbands, Bondi Bands, Clif Shot Bloks, Honey Stinger Waffles, Body Glide and a custom race t-shirt quilt. Learn more.

No comments:

Post a Comment