Sunday, February 5, 2012

Race Report: Frost Bite 5K

Behind the scenes at the Frost Bite 5K
Jess and Kim
This past weekend, I headed out to southwest Michigan to spend time with one of my college roommates, Jess, and also run a race put on by her friend Kim's family, the Frost Bite 5K in Vicksburg, MI.

It really was a family affair! I think I met all of Kim's immediate family plus some extended family. The race was smallish (231 finishers) and to allow the most money possible to go to the local food bank, there was no chip timing or online registration. But everything went off seamlessly.

The race was also pretty cheap. Registration was $10, $15 if you wanted a shirt or hat, and $25 if you wanted both. And there were tons of delicious homemade baked goods post-race, all prepared by Kim and her family.

Frost Bite 5KThe race itself was a flat out-and-back on a local paved trail. I knew that it would be a little narrow, so I lined up near the front. We took off, and it wasn't too bad. We quickly spaced out. The first mile was good, I did it in 7:30. Shortly after the first mile marker, I got passed by a guy pushing a double-wide jogging stroller.

I don't know if I was distracted by him in front of me, or near and after the turn-around I was distracted by people running in the opposite direction, but I kind of zoned out and slowed down. I should have pushed myself harder - my heart rate was around 176-177 for that mile, and I really should have been at 179. When mile 2 beeped at 7:58, I picked up the pace and pushed my heart rate to 180-182.

Vicksburg
Post-race: Jess, her niece, me
Mile 3 was 7:17, which is my fastest mile ever during a race, but I probably would not have been able to hit that pace had mile two not been so slow. I also spent most of the end of the race neck-and-neck with another woman, and I think that also helped me get such a fast mile 3.

Either way, my official time was 23:25, which is a four-second PR for me! So I'm pretty happy that I pulled that off, even with "falling asleep" in the middle. After I finished, I walked back on the course and found Jess, and finished the last half mile with her.

Officially:
Time: 23:25, 7:34 pace
Overall: 35 / 231
F26+: 6 / 114
Females: 8 / 137

Don't forget! I'm raffling off a half-hour swim lesson session in Lisle or Rolling Meadows with my cousin Judie. Every $5 you donate to the American Cancer Society before February 14 = 1 entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment