Saturday, December 17, 2011

Running in the Snow and How to Save $20 on a Ponytail Hat

I was planning to meet up with my running group at 7:15 this morning for 8 miles. When I checked the weather forecast last night, it predicted snow in the morning. After reading a recent post by Pain, Pride and Perseverance, I was actually excited about running in the snow.

Sure enough, I woke up this morning and ... snow! (Is it just me or have the weather reports become much more accurate in the recent years? All this technology is finally paying off I guess.) Driving to our group run was a little slippery so I took it slow, and luckily they were still there when I arrived (10 minutes late).

F'N Runners
Kelly W [FINALLY WE MEET!], me, Diane

F'N Runners
Nicole and Susan
It was still lightly snowing when we started, but soon stopped. It was actually the perfect weather for a run. Not that cold (upper 20s), no wind. We ran on a paved trail covered in a thin layer of snow, but (minus one wipeout and a couple slips) wasn't too slippery. We did 4 miles out (to a spot with indoor restrooms) and came back. With the beautiful conditions and conversation, it was a very enjoyable 8 miles. (Seriously - hook up with a running group if you haven't yet!!!!)

I'm starting to get smarter about these longish runs that don't start/end at home. I brought chocolate (soy) milk with me for the drive home.

Chocolate soy milk
In case you don't know what chocolate milk looks like
... or the inside of a Toyota Echo with an after-market stereo

So, if you're like me and have long hair, running hats can be tricky. You can either buy one big enough and wrap your hair underneath it (which I've done, and small children think I'm a boy), or you can wear your hair in a low ponytail or pigtails (which I've done and don't like ... I want my hair up and away from my body when I run). You can wear a fleece headband, which I often do, but on really cold or wet/snowy days, I like to cover my head. That leaves spending $25 or more for a ponytail hat ... or making your own.

The following is about as "crafty" or "DIY" as this blog will get:

ponytail hat
Fleece hat: on sale for $5 at Old Navy
I don't know if other material would work, but fleece is good
because you don't need to do anything to the edges.


ponytail hat
Locate the seam at the back of the hat, around where you would wear a ponytail.
If you don't sew, find this tool in any manicure kit, and rip the stitches along the seam.
If you do sew ... you probably don't need this tutorial.

ponytail hat
Once the hole if big enough, if you have loose thread, tie it in a knot.
This is probably not a proper sewing knot. Oh well.

ponytail hat
You are done. You want an opening just big enough to pull your ponytail through.

ponytail hat
Now go for a run.

I wore the hat this morning and it did not unravel on me so I count this a success. I think I might go to Old Navy and see if the still have this hat for $5 in different colors. Perhaps I should open an Etsy store and sell these for $20. (Hey maybe it'll be my next American Cancer Society fundraiser ... )

No comments:

Post a Comment